Become a Registered Childcare Provider

Get started today. Request information or have our child care team member contact you on opening a Registered License Not Required or a Licensed Childcare program in the central Okanagan by filling out the CONTACT FORM. Our consultants will support you every step of the way as you start your journey of becoming a Child Care provider. 

To register, operators will complete:

  • Criminal record checks (for everyone over age 12 living in the home)
  • Character references
  • A home safety assessment
  • First aid training
  • Child care training courses or workshops

We are the host organization for the Kelowna Child Care Resource & Referral Program (CCRR). The CCRR program is funded by the province of British Columbia to improve the quality and accessibility of child care in our community. CCRR programs provide support, resources and referrals for care providers and families, all with a focus of supporting the healthy development of children and families.

BC Government website – Start a Registered Child Care Program or Daycare

Begin a career in Child Care

High-quality child care is extremely important in the lives of children and families. It helps children to develop skills they will need for the rest of their lives; it supports families in their child-rearing role by providing a warm and nurturing environment for their children as well as knowledgeable and empathetic adults who are their willing partners in this enterprise, and it plays an important role in the community’s ability to support the business of living their lives.

The first step in becoming a child care provider is determining what type of care you would like to provide.

Types of Care Providers

There are many different types of child care providers and different ways to care for children. An early Childhood Educator and Responsible Adult are two of the more popular ways to become a care provider.

Early Childhood Educator

To be qualified to work as a certified Early Childhood Educator (ECE) in B.C., you are required to complete a basic early childhood education training program from an approved training institution.

Early Childhood Educator Assistant


Responsible Adult

An adult over 19 years of age who has experience working with children, has completed at least 20 hours of training & can provide care and mature guidance to children.

Become a Registered License Not Required Provider

Are you currently providing care for two children or thinking about becoming a child care provider? Consider becoming registered. Registered License Not Required (RLNR) providers can care for a maximum of two children in addition to those related to them by blood or marriage.  Fill out the CONTACT FORM for more information about this type of child care in your home.

Child care can be licensed, registered or unlicensed. Unlicensed (or licence-not-required) child care providers can care for only two children or a sibling group not related to them. If care is provided to three or more children, a license is required.


  • Your information on our parent referral data base.
  • Access to equipment and resources in the library.
  • A higher rate of Affordable Child Care Benefit subsidy for parents.

Learn More


Types of Child Care

There are many different types of Child Care facilities, but they all fall under either Licensed Child Care or Licensed-Not-Required Child Care. below is a quick overview of each type.

License-Not-Required Child Care

A child care provider can look after a maximum of two children in addition to those related to them by blood or marriage without a community care facilities license. This is referred to as license-not-required care or LNR. You can also become a registered license-not-required child care provider or RLNR.
Contact Kayla, CCRR Program Coordinator to begin the Registered License Not Required Process.

Licensed Child Care

In BC anyone providing care for 3 or more children not related to the operator by blood or marriage requires a community care facilities license. Licensed care can take place in an operator’s home (licensed family child care) as well as in a community or commercial setting (licensed group child care). To find out more information regarding licensed child care please contact your local Community Care Facilities licensing office.


Resources for Opening a Child Care Program

Services We Provide to Support You

  • Training opportunities and workshops
  • Your child care listed on our parent referral data base.
  • Assistance with child care subsidy applications
  • Fax machine access
  • Supportive home visits for family child care providers
  • Networking opportunities with other child care providers
  • Access to our Early Childhood Resource Library
  • Best Practice Resource Samples

Grants, Bursaries and Education Funds

Start Up Grants
BC Funding Factsheet
Bursary & Grant Listings

Important informational links to $10 A Day:

$10 A Day – Main page
FAQ for Parents
FAQ for Providers
$10 A Day Policy and Procedures Manual
Applicant Guide

Contact Information:
Child care providers, please email for specific enquiries about the $10 a Day ChildCareBC program or contact us at the information below.

Toll Free:
1-888-338-6622 (Option 7)
Mailing Address:
PO Box 9788 Stn Prov Gov
Victoria BC

Affordable Child Care Benefit

Licensed child care providers and Registered Licence-Not-Required child care providers can use the Service Provider Portal to access self-service options related to Affordable Child Care Benefit claims, benefit plans and payments.

To log in to this service, you will need to register for a Business BCeID.

ACCB Service Provider Portal