United Way – Manager, Community Wellness and Poverty
Manager, Community Wellness and Poverty
Full-time temporary contract August 2020 to August 2021
United Way Southern Interior BC is looking for a Community Wellness and Poverty Project Manager to join our team, based in our Kelowna office.
United Way Southern Interior BC is looking for an experienced manager to lead the development and implementation of a regional wellness and poverty strategy (‘the strategy’). This role will plan, lead and facilitate community engagement with diverse stakeholders throughout the Central Okanagan region and build new partnerships across multiple sectors. In partnership with the project consultant and with oversight from United Way and the Central Okanagan Wellness and Poverty Leadership Committee, the manager will develop a complimentary community implementation and evaluation plan for the strategy. Additionally, this position will establish an accountability framework and reporting mechanisms for implementation of the strategy at both the regional and local community level.
- Responsible for the development of a regional wellness and poverty strategy and associated deliverables including but not limited to: a regional community engagement plan (1:1 interviews, virtual forums, focus groups), project budgets and reports, a strategy accountability and evaluation framework, and a regional implementation plan.
- Work closely and in consultation with community, including local non-profit organizations, community organizations, various levels and sectors of government, local businesses, people with lived or living experience and other community members, to develop a regional strategy.
- Ensure lived experience and community engagement feedback are integrated throughout all stages of the strategy development project, while simultaneously building capacity for action and implementation across the region.
- Work closely with the Central Okanagan Wellness and Poverty Leadership Committee, Regional District of the Central Okanagan and the project consultant to ensure accountability, achievement of the project objectives and a clearly defined plan for implementation.
- Build and foster relationships with new and existing diverse stakeholders in each community within the region.
- Act as primary point of communication for the project and provide clear, articulate and timely communication to media, key partners and other community members regarding the strategy development project
- Research and apply to new funding opportunities related to the strategy development and implementation project, as well as support reporting requirements of existing grants.
- Other responsibilities as required in the development and implementation of the regional wellness and poverty strategy project, as needed.
Skills and Qualifications:
- A high level of comfort in interfacing and presenting in a variety of public engagement and speaking settings
- Demonstrated experience in working with both grassroots organizations as well as with larger institutional partners
- 3+ years combined experience in project management and community development preferred
- Understanding of root causes of poverty, interrelated social issues, social determinants of health and diverse needs of people living in poverty
- Experience working directly with diverse populations facing stigma, social or structural inequities considered an asset
- Marketing skills considered an asset
- University Degree in a relevant discipline (including, but not limited to community development, public administration, social work, sociology)
- Equivalent experience and significant relevant work experience may be considered
- Proven experience building effective, long-term partnerships across multiple sectors
- Track record of community development work.
- Personal strengths in collaboration, leadership and facilitation.
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal communication and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to take initiative, work autonomously and as part of a team.
- High level of professionalism, tact and open-mindedness.
- Strong judgement and problem solving skills.
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and general computer skills, internet research etc.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
- Flexibility in hours of work – availability to work regionally within the Central Okanagan, or on evenings and occasional weekends as work demands.
- Ability to present a clear police background check.
Please apply with your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com explaining your motivation for applying and how your skills fit the bill. Please reference “Project Manager, Community Wellness and Poverty” in the subject line. Closing date is Friday, July 31st 2020. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To get a feel for our work in the community and learn more about us, please visit us at
Position: United Way – Manager, Community Wellness and Poverty
Location: United Way - Kelowna Branch